11/14/2006

The Game of the Century / The Game of the Future


The biggest rival game in all sports and a very special game this year takes place in 2 days. I mean many people are all ready saying this is the game of the CENTURY, which is very hard to argue their point. It is also interesting to try and look at this game from an average college football fans perspective who has no ties with either team or state. Myself and most of my readers have grown up in Ohio and have lived this tradition our entire lives. I mean go ask a homer from Ohio, "What day is your mother-in-laws birthday"? Follow that question with, "What day does Ohio State play Michigan this year? Im a betting man and I would put my money on question number two getting answered right more times than question one. That's just how big the game is every year. This year......well, both teams are undefeated and the winner plays for National Title. It's gonna be CrAzY!!!!!! GO BUCKS!

The game of the future in poker is definitely HORSE. It seems to be getting more and more popular throughout the past few months since the WSOP. At the WSOP this year they had only one HORSE tournament on the schedule, which was a 50k buyin. This was held to spotlight the best all around player in poker, because the game consists of 5 different poker games. Holdem, Omaha hi/lo, Razz, Stud, and Stud 8 or better make up the specific games. Chip Reese went on to win this event this past year by defeating Andy Bloch in the longest heads-up match in the history of the WSOP. The problem I had was that the WSOP had made this an all NL final table not switching to any of the other 4 games. Obviously its done for entertainment purposes, television, and of course....that is what the people want to see. In my opinion, it takes away from the title of HORSE, and also is not fair to the players whom excell more in the other games. Anyhow, rumors have it that this year there will be more HORSE tournaments at the WSOP and I will be looking forward to playing those events.

Full Tilt has been hosting a series of tournaments called, "Full Tilt of Poker Series (FTOPS) ". Yesterday was event 5, none other than the $200 Horse event. There were roughly 700 runners including myself playing for 28k and the unique Full Tilt golden jersey for the winner. I played extremely well making a total of 3 mistakes that I remember during the entire tournament. The biggest mistake came in 7 stud, WOW did I make some bad calls. Here is the hand from what I remember......

1k-2k level

me: Q9 Q I raised, bringin shows a deuce calls my raise.
player a: XX 2

me: Q9 Q8 I bet, he calls.
player a : XX 26

Fifth Street
me: Q9 Q810
player a : XX 262

Ibet, he raises, I think tank knowing im beat and in bad shape. Instead
of laying it down here, I call down missing my gutshot and leaving myself no
choice but to call on the end. Giving away 12k of my stack. HORRID CALLS! He
ends up sh0wing quad deuces, he said he started with 222 6 2. It was so
obvious after the reraise on 5th, thats why this was a major mistake in the
tournament.

I was able to comeback and put this particular hand behind me. I finished in 5th position overall in the tournament. I was pleased with how I played up until the Final 6. I felt I was playing over aggressive at this point and could have slowed down a bit to move up in the money. Oh well.....just another Horse tourney in the books.
I do want to dedicate this 5th place Horse finish to the Glendon House in Vegas and also Casa de Bodog House. When we spent a month in Vegas this past summer for the WSOP, we would often play the 2 hundo HORSE sit n go's on Full Tilt. We would fill the table with 4 guys from our house (which included any of the following, Myself, Randerz, MarvinGarden, Stubblefield, and Elop) and 4 guys from Bodog House (Ari, Hattrick, Illnugwichee, etc....etc...). This is where I began to find love for Horse. Randers taught me Razz in 5 minutes, and stubblefield would explain his every move in Omaha hi/lo. I picked these games up pretty fast and now its payin off thanks to these donkeys! Appreciate it fellas.

Bye for now,

Boke

No comments: