1/10/2007

Good Game From the Bahamas

The weather was beautiful given the time of year, the food was fair and way over priced, and the service was awful. A pretty standard visit to the Atlantis in the Bahamas. When I say that the service was awful, it is still a major understatement. For example, we ate at the Outback on Saturday night. Eight people in our party and we were there for nearly three hours. Talk about a long dinner. However, my wife and I, along with Chris (MarvinGarden) and his fiance Christian had dinner at a place called "Gray Cliffe". It was amazing food and the service was excellent. I highly reccommend this establishment to anyone who visits the Bahamas.

As for the tournament, well.... not so good either. I was unfortunate to draw a table of a few well knowns. I was seated in seat 3. Next to me in seat 4 was Pokerstars representative Isabelle Mercier, in seat 5 was David Williams (second place finisher to Greg Raymer in 2004 Main Event), and in seat 8 was Tom Mcevoy (Won the Main Event in the late 80's I believe, and now writes poker books). Everyone in the tournament started with 20k in chips. The big starting stack led David Williams to play 90% of the pots. He played a crazy aggressive style in which it seemed as though he was ready to gamble every hand. The majority of my key hands were against him, unfortunately so was my very last hand of the tournament. Here was my exit hand.

Im on the big blind with 66. David Williams raises preflop to 700, I was the 3rd caller and 4th person to enter the flop.

Flop: 864 rainbow (bink)

I check obviously knowing David Williams will bet, which he does to 2k. Everyone folds down to me. I repop him to 7k. He instantly calls. I now have about 11.5k behind at this time, and David has a bit more, but not much.

Turn: 7

I know he doesnt have a 4 to make the straight, but it wasn't the greatest turn card for me. So I bet half of my remaining chips, 6k, leaving me 5-6k behind. This is a very unusual bet that I had made. Most people at this point would just shove their stack, but I had noticed that if I had given some sort of pot odds to David that he would not be able to fold. He showed this the entire tourney to this point. The guy simply could not fold a hand. I got my wish and he instantly called.

I now bet my last 6k in the dark. (Meaning I bet before the river card had even came)

River: 10

Williams instantly calls in a hurry and shows his straight. HAHA. He called me down with 89. Now many may ask, why didn't I shove after the turn. Believe me it would not have mattered. Williams was not getting away from his hand after the turn. The guy simply can not fold a hand like that as he had shown all day. Like they say "That is Poker".

Wowzers has it been a rough week it terms of sports. Let's see.....Jets lose to Pats, Buckeyes game was great for 15 seconds.....Florida looked unstoppable! Than to top it off Buckeyes Hoops lost yesterday in a key Big Ten battle. DOH!!!!!! Things could be worse :)

Boke

No comments: